Wednesday, July 12, 2006

History first?

Well I am not one to dwell on it, but my career started when Windows 2.0 came out.
Ah the funny little program which came with a mouse and MS paint program.
What do you do with it? Nothing, until windows 3.0.
But this is not about Windows.
This is about the early days of the IT world when anyone who knew how to turn a computer on was a consultant(circa 1989-1990). Did well, not even 21 and making 40K a year which was a great deal to me as my buddies who followed through on our accounting degrees barely made 30K.
I remember the first 486 when it came in. It dropped processing time to 8 hours overnight from almost 20 on a 386. Yes science advanced so fast. Now we measure the change in seconds or minutes. Maybe my smartphone in hours, even that is better than my old 486.

No comments: