Thursday, December 21, 2006

IBM Marketing and I, er You?

If you have been reading Ed brills blog you will have seen the recent discussion about IBM marketing and the perennial "Lotus is Dead" rumor out of Redmond.

While I will not sit and argue that IBM does or doesn't get marketing and advertising, I will post an example of something so basic, yet profound that I received from IBM after downloading a white paper or reading a tech article on Sametime.

On the plus side, it shows an active IBM trying to engage its potential customers. Something many of us think does not exist. It also highlights what you were looking at and how to get help. By the way he did include all of his contact information, phone, email, address, etc.

The down side is the text and bad form letter formatting. This does not make me want to interact with you, it just makes me feel like you have been spying on me(I know it was IBM's website and they should be tracking all visitor's, I am just saying how I would feel as a non-techy).
Specific examples of why Sametime or IM would benefit someone, around the clock availability of someone someplace to fix something. Costs saved or a local BP to talk to would be helpful or even a local reference or even just a link to a reference?

Nope just bad adcopy. Shame, it really is.


"Hello Mr. Brooks:

I recently noticed that you expressed interest in our IBM Lotus Sametime 7.5 instant messaging solution. Our main objective is to get your questions answered and meet your business needs. We have actually been doing some innovative and creative things here at IBM to increase efficiency, grow revenue and reduce costs for businesses in your sector. In order to serve your needs and find what you are looking for, please call me and I will provide you with the resources for any IBM solutions. Look forward to hearing from you. Thank you Brooks.

Please feel free to contact me at the number and extension below.

Regards,

Lead Generation Representative - Software"

No comments: