Thursday, December 28, 2006

Domain Monitoring and Domino R7

Yes, if you don't use it, you are missing out. But if you do use it, well, you may never have a minute of free time!
My client thankfully after my brief 4 months here is humming along perfectly happy.
Before I came in to remotely handle the admin and management:
1- Servers would fail especially the HUB and stay down until someone took care of it
2- dozens of dead mail sat in the mail.box's on every server
3- mail routing was enabled from any server to the SMTP gateway(good but highly unsecure)
4- servers runnning R5, R6 and R7 and in some cases using R4 templates for mail
5- 4 different NAB/Directories from 4 different previous owners populated the servers, still, some 10 years after the fact
6- Servers were not under warranty and of course one primary failed
7- termination lists had not been kept up to date so 100's of "dead' users were stil live
8- No stats or events or monitoring running
9- Servers did not notify admins when they failed or had issues connecting
10- Some server IP and DNS names did not match the server docs! No wonder some people never got their email here :-)

Well you get the idea.

Having fixed all of this, I used the Domain monitoring to check on everything. And it really likes to tell me all about the attempts to connect to the HUB by everyone, if i toss all of those, I probably have it down to 1 incident of consequence every day or 2 and that is usually warnings that the network is slow (I love when I get heckled by computers don't you?)

Looking forward to new tools at the Sphere so if you are a vendor with some admin tools I should know about, please let me know.

No comments: